5 Best vacuums for pet hair to easily remove dog’s shed hair

Video: Best Vacuum for Pet Hair 2015 | Reviews of the Top Rated Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner

One of the few drawbacks to pet ownership is the fact that you have to deal with shed hair in your home. It works its way down into your carpet and gets stuck in the upholstery of your furniture. Investing in the best vacuum for pet hair will be well worth it.

A woman uses a vacuum for pet hair to clean carpetsFirst, not all pet owners really need a special vacuum for their dog’s hair. There are dogs that don’t shed (or shed very little). Other breeds will leave their hair all over the house. So before making your decision, think about how much your dog sheds.

A smaller, less expensive pet hair vacuum may be a great option for a dog owner with a small breed that doesn’t shed a lot. If you have a large dog with a thick coat, odds are he sheds a lot, and you constantly need to clean after him.

How to pick the best vacuum for your pet’s hair?

Not all vacuums are the same. Pet hair requires a specific type of equipment that has features specifically designed for effectively sucking up all shed leftovers. The best vacuum for pet hair will have high powered suction and will usually come with special attachments to remove hair from upholstery, carpet, stairs and all the crannies in house.

Pet Hair VacuumPriceQualityRating
Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner$$$$A+4.4/5
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional$$$A4.6/5
BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum$$B4.3/5
Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Hand Vacuum$$B-4.3/5
Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum$$C4.2/5

* Click on the pet hair vacuum for more information and prices. Alternatively, scroll down below for more details.

In some cases, you can remove dog hair yourself without a vacuum.

Dog owners who only need to deal with a little bit of hair can do well removing it all themselves. If you need some advice on how to do that, take a look at the below video.

FULL GUIDE: How To Get Dog Hair Out of Carpet – Instructional Guide

Unfortunately, if you’re an owner of a double coat dog that leaves tons of hair, one of these best vacuums for pet hair will be almost essential in your home. So if you can afford a more expensive dog hair vacuum with better suction, I’d say it’s best to buy one. I have the Shark Navigator, and it does make my life so much easier when I need to clean.

Most of these work well outside of your house, too. For example, the best vacuums for pet hair will come in handy to effectively clean the upholstery of your vehicle. They can even help remove hair directly off your dog. It can help with Cheyletiella infestation, too.

So if you can acclimate your puppy or adult dog to the feeling of being vacuumed as part of the whole dog grooming process, you can remove your pet’s loose hair from his coat very easily. Make sure you have a special attachment, like these vacuums below.

TOP 5: Best Vacuum for Pet Hair
Easily remove dog’s shed hair from the carpets…

Best Vacuums for Pet Hair to Easily Clean Your Dogs Shed Hair

1Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum CleanerDyson’s lightweight but durable DC41 Animal Complete vacuum cleaner is designed for powerful removal of all-around dirt, allergens, and pet hair. Using cutting-edge technology, it boasts of a unique technology that enhances airflows to provide maximum suction power. With its mini turbine head and high-reach wand that extends up to 5 times its length, it can easily suck up ground-in dirt and hair in hard-to-reach or confined spaces, furniture, stairs, or inside the car.

• Read reviews of other pet owners

It also features a cleaning head that self-adjusts automatically to create maximum contact with any floor type, eliminating air leaks and maintaining suction power. Steering is very smooth, with easy maneuverability around obstacles or into tight spaces. Customers are impressed with this product’s high performance and application of superior technologies. They also appreciate the extra tools that come with it.

Buyers enumerate the qualities they find remarkable about this vacuum cleaner. The Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner has a transparent bin that lets the user see when it needs emptying. There is a combination tool with a debris nozzle which converts into a brush tool for dusting, a tangle-free turbine tool with counter-rotating heads that trap and release hair straight into the bin without tangling.

Best Vacuums for Pet HairPossibly citing an area for improvement, a buyer says that the vacuum cleaner lacks storage space for all the attachments that come with it. It would be a nifty idea to come up a solution to this observation in future versions. Many customers of this product are actually satisfied buyers of older Dyson products, and they have upgraded to this newer model. The long list of long-time users is a testament to the brand’s reliability and high quality.

PROS:
  • Uses unique technology that enhances airflows to provide maximum suction power
  • High-reach wand that extends up to 5 times its length
  • Features a cleaning head that self-adjusts automatically to create maximum contact with any floor type
CONS:
  • Some say this best vacuum for pet hair lacks storage space for all the attachments that come with it

best vacuum for pet hairMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full Amazon review):
“…I took my new DC41 out for a test drive and I have to say that I was impressed. I did the “vacuum with my old machine and then with the new one to see how much the old one missed” test, and sure enough, the DC41…

2Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional

Shark Navigator Lift-Away ProfessionalThis best vacuum for pet hair from SharkNinja is available in two models at different prices- the Standard Brush Roll (this article’s subject) and the Premium Brush Roll. It features an innovative anti-allergen technology that can suck up nearly 100% of dirt and allergens, including pollen, molds and bacteria. At 14 pounds, it is lightweight and comes with a unique dust cup bare-floor attachment and a reusable microfiber pad for fast and easy cleaning on hard floors throughout the house.

Control and maneuverability in tight spots are greatly enhanced because of its powerful Swivel Steering. An extra 30-foot long power cord allows for maximum range over large areas. Buyers of this product find it very cost-effective. They are surprised at how much dirt the thing can suck.

Comparing it to pricier brands, they say that they get just about the same performance at a third of the price. The pet hair Turbo Brush works superbly in cleaning not just pet hair but dust and dirt from floors, carpets, and other surfaces. Consumers found the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional highly practical and beneficial especially for those with family members who are sensitive to dog hair and other allergens.

best vacuum for pet hairA few buyers mentioned handicaps of this product, such as not-so-good edge cleaning. Also, care must be observed when using the wand or attachments to avoid toppling the vacuum over. With proper use and handling, though, this could prove to be the best vacuum for pet hair -great engineering, high-quality materials and affordable price.

PROS:
  • Features an innovative anti-allergen technology that can suck up nearly 100% of dirt and allergens
  • Weighs just 14 pounds
  • Extra-long power cord
  • Equipped with Swivel Steering for added control and maneuverability
CONS:
  • Some buyers complained that this best vacuum for pet hair doesn’t work well around edges
  • Others stated that the canister tips over easily when the attachments are in use

best vacuum for pet hairMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full Amazon review): “I own all three versions of the Navigator, including this one. I am not a professional reviewer, and neither I nor anyone in my family has any connection to anyone in the vacuum cleaner industry. I bought my Lift Away Pro from QVC. I.…”

3Bissel PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum

Bissel PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded VacuumBissel’s PowerEdge Pet Stick Vacuum is engineered for hard floor types, yet it still packs a lot of suction power and finesse with its V-Shaped Technology. It extracts dirt and minute particles from hard floors with V-shaped wipers – no separate attachment or brush roll needed.

The wipers help to trap more pet hair because they’re made of hair-attracting rubber materials, while its swivel head allows easy cleaning in tight spaces and around baseboards and furniture legs. It comes with a 20-foot power cord. This vacuum cleaner is a favorite not only in homes, but in pet clinics and grooming centers as well.

Video: Quick Trick: How to easily remove dog hair from carpet and other surfaces!

It gained marks for its maneuverability and high-powered suction ability. It got rid of hair, dirt, dust, toe nail clippings, and bits and pieces. Working moms and pet owners were very happy to finally find an aid in maintaining a cleaner home even with the furry family members. They say that the Bissel PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum really sucks, in a good way. Unlike most other vacuums they’ve tried, which didn’t get all the dirt and hair and even got clogged up every so often.

best vacuum for pet hairA user complains that the power cord is way too short – he wants a 25-foot cord. He also has a problem with the dirt canister is too small and it fills up fast. Can it be not that the vacuum collects dirt way too fast? That what the other customers observed and they’re ecstatic about it. They say that this best vacuum for pet hair is all they need to keep the home base clean in the most effortless manner.

PROS:
  • Specifically engineered for hard floor types
  • V-shaped technology uses wipers on each side to push minute particles and pet hair into the path of suction
  • Wipers trap more pet hair because they’re made of hair-attracting rubber materials
CONS:
  • Some complaints were made about the length of the 20-foot cord
  • One reviewer noted that the dirt canister is too small

best vacuum for pet hairMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full Amazon review): “I am a veterinary technician at a small animal clinic. When our central vac system malfunctioned our office manager picked up this machine to use until repairs could be made. I was completely amazed by this light-weight, easy to…”

4Bissel Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Handheld Vacuum

Bissel Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Handheld VacuumHere’s Bissel’s handheld version of a pet hair cleaner that performs nearly as great as its full-sized upright models. It is crafted with the same technology, execution, and level of durability. This handheld cleaner is lightweight and portable, and convenient for picking up pet hair anywhere around the house or car interiors.

This best vacuum for pet hair comes with two specially designed nozzles: a flexible rubber contour nozzle that attracts pet hair and removes dust and dirt from stairs and furniture, and a hard nozzle for cleaning dry litter. It uses the Cyclonic Cleaning System, with a multi-layer filtration for a quicker clean up.

Buyers are awed by the brute suction power of this little machine. The two specially designed nozzles work perfectly on furniture and surfaces that have corners. Most buyers have had this for several years and they attest to its durability and effectiveness. They never had problems with the Bissel Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Handheld Vacuum, and they found no need to replace it. They say that it could be noisy, though. With such power packed in a small size, noise is probably a minor trade off.

best vacuum for pet hairUsers found this to be substantial as cleaning equipment, especially when handiness and portability are considered. It is also the go-to dust, hair, and dirt cleaner when the area to be cleaned is tight or difficult to maneuver with full-height vacuum equipment. With its incredible suction power, this handheld worker is the ideal thing to use when removing fine hair and dust off upholstery and furniture.

PROS:
  • Crafted with the same technology, execution, and level of durability as the brand’s upright models
  • Lightweight
  • Equipped with a Cyclonic Cleaning System that uses a multi-layer filtration for quicker clean up

Video: Assembly - Pet Hair Eraser®

CONS:
  • Many users complained about the noise of this best vacuum for pet hair

best vacuum for pet hairMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full Amazon review + VIDEO): “…This new cordless Pet Hair Eraser is a dream to use. It is lightweight and easy to handle. I really like the motorized attachment, which actually is not driven by suction, but with a motor. Makes a huge difference in picking up…”

5Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum

Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held VacuumThis best vacuum for pet hair is lightweight at 4.8 pounds, but it packs a lot of power and more than enough features to make pet hair cleaning a breeze and without stress. This product from Eureka also cleans carpeted stairs, upholstery, furniture, and car interiors. It is driven by two separate motors – one to provide power to the revolving brush and the other for stronger suction.

It comes with a sturdy 20-foot cord that can be wrapped around the unit for proper storage after clean up. Along with it, there’s a crevice tool that can be attached on the end of the deluxe hose that stretches nearly up to three times its length for an easy reach in tight areas.

Customers agree that the Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum is truly powerful and easy to use. They say the filter makes a really airtight seal, and the dust container is very easy to empty. Buyers also comment that the revolving brush increases its cleaning ability. Cleaning carpeted stairs has become easier, safer, and more thorough with this product compared to other means of cleaning.

best vacuum for pet hairOne lady, however, finds this machine a little too big and heavy for a handheld, and she suggests a similar smaller version with the same suction power packed in it. Since this equipment’s high-powered performance depends on its technology and hardware, it may take a while to develop the same power at a fraction of its weight. Except for that, the vacuum gained the approval of most of its buyers who gave premium to its powerful cleaning quality.

PROS:
  • Weighs only 4.8 pounds
  • 20-foot cord can be wrapped around the base of the unit for easy storage
  • Deluxe hose stretches 3X its length
CONS:
  • One buyer noted that this best vacuum for pet hair is a bit heavy for her liking and wishes it could pack the same sucking power in a smaller model

best vacuum for pet hairMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full Amazon review): “…My conclusion after a complex and detailed statistical and psychological analysis of the complaints is that the hand-held vacuum was being misused, abused in some cases. After a few months of use, I agree with all the positives: Eureka is powerful & easy to use, the brush enhances cleaning power, the canister is…”

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts